Big and Tall
Computer Task Chairs
Drafting Chairs and Stools
24 Hour Chairs
Reception and Guest
The seats on most office chairs tend to sink after a few years of regular use, but don’t worry, there’s no need to buy a whole new chair! Chances are, the gas cylinder in your chair is the only part that needs to be replaced. If you purchased your office chair from OfficeChairs.com, you’re in luck! All you’ll need to do is contact our customer service department at (800) 242-7200 and we’ll send a replacement cylinder out to you in a flash. Once you’ve received the new cylinder for your chair, just follow these simple steps on how to remove the gas lift from your office chair and your chair will be back to normal in no time!
1. Separate the old cylinder from the base of the chair. To do this, turn the chair on its side and gently tap the base away from the chair with your rubber mallet.
2. Tightly secure the wrench near the top of the old cylinder and twist it until it releases from the mechanism. If you don’t have access to a pipe wrench, you can remove the mechanism from the chair by unscrewing the main bolts on the bottom of the seat. Then use the rubber mallet to tap the mechanism away from the chair.
3. If you are having trouble getting the chair apart, apply some WD40 to the mechanism and let it sit for a few minutes before trying again. Be sure to protect surrounding surfaces and chair fabrics before doing this.
4. Now that you have removed the old chair cylinder, replace it with the new one. Simply pop the cylinder into the base of the chair and then lift them both into the mechanism.
5. Carefully set the chair into an upright position and take a seat. The part will fasten back together.
If you are having trouble getting your chair apart or back together, simply call OfficeChair.com’s knowledgeable customer service representatives today at (800) 242-7200. If you’re a visual learner, then be sure to check out our video on how to replace the gas cylinder in your office chair below:
If you tried to give this your best go and the chair still isn't cooperating, head over to our best sellers, top-rated, or on-sale sections to find a perfect replacement!
Rachel is the SEO & Social Media Specialist for OfficeFurniture.com and OfficeChairs.com. When not working you can find her hanging out with her energetic Corgi, Gambit, or her two young nephews.
Sign-up to receive emails about exclusive discounts and sale notifications.